I’ve never been good at keeping a diary or journal. I mean NEVER. And it’s not for lack of trying. At least once a year since I was oh I don’t know, probably 7 or 8, I’ve begun some sort of journal. To this day, my utter lack of a library of cherished notebooks filled with pages of my hopes, wishes, dreams, crushes, embarrassing moments, etc. is testament to those good intentions at record keeping going up in flames. Although I did successfully keep a few notebooks of poetry and prose over the years, that has been the extent of it.
So why start a blog now? Well, the awful truth is I’m getting older. I’m not old, but I did just turn 28 and these last few years especially I’ve begun to recognize the importance of keeping a record of what I do in my life, lest I forget it all. I want to start now so that by the time I’m married with children (God willing), I’m in a good habit of doing it. So this year I made it one of my New Year’s resolutions to start keeping track of all the stuff that goes on in my life, good, bad, what have you.
A blog seemed like the obvious choice for a few reasons:
1) Writing on paper never seems to work for me so maybe there is something to this electronic medium.
2) Hopefully having a public blog will keep me more accountable to myself….? Hopefully….
3) I also resolved at the start of the new year to take more pictures, get into a better fitness routine and write more. Being that I already follow a few fitness, health, and photography blogs, starting my own makes sense.
4) My boyfriend (Hate that term by the way… It is wholly inadequate for describing the person who holds that title in my life, but I’ve yet to discover a term that’s better suited for him. I will divulge that we –he and I– have honestly discussed this at length. Once you’ve been together a couple of years and you’re not teenagers anymore, the boyfriend/girlfriend thing just sounds childish. If you know of a better term, I’m all ears. For now, let’s call him “B”.) and I are moving in a few months and I intend for this to be a way for us to keep in touch with friends and family. That, of course, will depend on my success in keeping up with it!
5) It will give me a place to keep all the darn lists I make. I assure you, there will be many.
So there it is, my first post. Not so hard after all! I debated writing the history of my life, or at least part of it, but I think you’ll learn plenty about me as we go and honestly I wouldn’t know where to start. For now I’ll say this: I’m a 28 (as of this month) year old young professional and I live in Michigan, which I love. I don’t actually love the city I live in right now, but I love my job and I love the people I’ve met here. I work in politics, which I’ll refrain from discussing on the blog for obvious reasons, for the time being. I will however discuss my other loves, some of which I’ve discussed above and some of which you’ll just have to keep reading to find out.
Oh and I should mention that while I regard myself an average to above average writer considering what’s out there, I am by no means to be held responsible for the run-on sentences that will, without doubt, comprise the vast majority of my posts. There’s just no getting around it, folks. I write the way I speak, in one long run-on sentence. I have gotten it under control in my professional life, but this is my space and I’ll do with it what I please. You should feel free to run your sentences on for however long you desire in the comments. I won’t judge you. Mostly because that was one of my New Year’s resolutions last year, to judge less, and lucky for you that one’s still going strong.
I’m sweating, is this normal? I better hurry up and finish.
So you probably want to know about what’s going on in my life right now at this exact second. I am about to head home, give my adorable puppy dog a million kisses and get some dinner with B. We’ve had a rough week getting used to the new schedule this semester so I’m excited to relax with him tonight. It’s been a long short week! Hopefully I’ll get together with my mom and sisters (minus one) tomorrow so do the belated birthday thing but we’ll see. Then, Sunday, I’m going to what I can only describe as a “hair party”. It’s not what you think. Or maybe it is. A girlfriend of mine is an amazing stylist, so I’ve convinced two of my friends and one of my sisters that we should all get our hair done on the same day. We’re going to drink wine, gossip and I’m sure there will be some trashy mag reading in there as well. Pretty nice little Sunday.
OK, hopefully I’ll be back soon. And hopefully you will too.